Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Life in a Northern Town

I am a lazy blogger. This is because I am a lazy person. I also procrastinate. This is not always the best combination.

Shannan came in this weekend, making my strange homesickness a bit more acute since yesterday when I took her back to the airport. We finished our big secret project that will be posted up on Kraft Klub in a few weeks, and ate, and slept and were just able to enjoy each other. We had some fabulous sushi and checked out a new craft store (rather eh) and were basically our strange and wacky selves.

I’m not sure what the deal is with my missing Maryland. The past few times I’ve visited and come back, it’s taken a couple days to adjust. I find that I don’t take the back and forth as just a matter of course and that I actively miss my friends once I’ve left them. Not that I normally forget about them once not in my direct line of vision, but after moving here and getting past all the horrible adjusting and drama, I got to a point where I was fine coming home to Boston. There were no pangs for whomever I just left. I looked forward to getting back into my own space and my own life here. I still like getting back into my own space; I’m just wishing it was a bit closer, I suppose.

The charms of New England are not lost on me; I’m just not falling all over myself about them. I find that I am not like some people I know who seem to be in a constant state of being overwhelmed by how much they love living here and how much they love ____ [insert typical NE attraction]. It almost feels more like I’ve simply been on an extended visit. A sabbatical from wherever it is I really want to be. That this is a place you come, you see, you buy the t-shirt and then enjoy your own place a bit more.

I leave tomorrow for a family vacation, with lots of intense family time in our own little bubble in the woods. This may cure my homesickness. I may also just want to move closer to friends with maintaining a healthy parental distance.

It is ridiculous. I’ve been here for years, I’m a grown woman. I need to take my own advice and suck it up and get over it already.

5 comments:

nanni said...

I think it makes sense to miss MD, given how many long-term friendships you have based down here, and here is where you spent so much of your life. But I also suspect, that if you were to move back here someday (keeping fingers crossed), you'd find that you miss Boston and your friends there too.

Anyways..just remember that you are well loved regardless of your current location.

cat said...

Thanks g:)That is always good to know.

The thing is, it is different here. It's very transitory (as are the people) and while if/when I leave it might be bittersweet for a moment, it was never really home in that way and I won't miss it like that. When I leave here, it more than likely really will be a goodbye, and a place that I can leave. MD just isn't like that for me:)

Maybe knowing that difference, and having had the NE experience is making me feel a little done and ready go back, I don't know.

nanni said...

Maybe you just want to be near me and all of my gloriousness! Ha! I'm funny.

cat said...

I think you might be onto something there...:)

Unknown said...

Well I know I miss you.

I think I can sort of understand. I can't see myself as being from anywhere else even if I move at some point. MD is home. That being said, it not like you or I couldn't/wouldn't be happy any where else. It's just home is more than a place to rest our hat. It's a feeling or connection to a place, memories, and group of people. Where I sleep, spend time with friends, and work doesn't define home for me. There's more.