Thursday, January 26, 2006

The Sagas of My Life

Where O Where to begin! Oh the Horrors and Tribulations that have befallen me!

Saga and Tribulation #1: The Pillowcase That Target (via Woolrich) Forgot

This past Christmas, Santa’s Elves brought me a lovely cream-colored flannel sheet set, exactly what I wanted for my thick mattress and burgundy duvet cover. I waited until Santa’s Elves’ minions (a.k.a. my parents) were able to mail me the presents I couldn’t fit into the extra luggage I had brought in greedy anticipation, waited until I could get to the laundromat and waited until I got it out of the dryer to notice that there was no second pillowcase. Sets of full-sized sheets always have second pillow cases; the back of the package even said so!

I was sorely disappointed and called the 800 number to find that they were not taking calls on weekends and then proceeded to run around opposite ends of the world to the targets near to make an exchange. But alas, there was no full-sized sheet set, only twins and kings. And guest service people weren’t able to help me.

So on Monday I called the number, got the guest service person and then the guest service supervisor (I didn’t even have to ask), and she took it upon herself to seek out a pillowcase for me. Long story shorter but still longer than you’d like to read is that I don’t get a pillow case; I need to return what I have for a gift card.

A quick addendum is that Nina and Mom are going to check the Targets near them for what I want; otherwise the internet will come to the rescue.

Horror #2: The Case of the Missing Cable

This was really bad. A Wednesday night with a new episode of Lost and only a blue screen on the television. I was clearly traumatized. I called Comcast; they said it looked like I should be getting cable and that they’d send a tech out Friday afternoon, while I’m at work. I kinda balked at that, so they upped it to Thursday once I get home from work. The Comcast guy came today and fixed everything, just in time a new O.C. Heh.

Apparently my new second-floor neighbors had their cable installed yesterday, and the subcontractors sent by Comcast decided to use the line that was for our apartment for the neighbors, effectively shutting off our cable and giving it to the them. Pretty dumb; you’d think if they saw a cable line in the house that they’d think it could be used for the other apartments there. The good Comcast guy split the line as a temporary fix until someone comes out this weekend to install a second for the other apartment.

A Bit of Tribulation #3: Stop Staring, I Just Have Sensitive Skin

Yesterday I looked like…something. My face was dry and scaly in parts; swollen and red in other parts. It could be due to any number of things: the up and downs in the weather, dry indoor heat, lack of sleep, or the alignment of Saturn’s moons and Pluto. Who knows? Today it is better, but it’s still recovering from Freakout 2006 Part I (because I know there will be more).

Luckily, I have a new doc that prescribed some cream should the cortisone not work as well I’d like.

The End

3 comments:

nanni said...

I shall also check the Target near me if you like. And yay for fixed cable even if it was really dumb that it got cut off. And hopefully the cortisone will work for you.

Anonymous said...

and you remain indomitably optimistic in light of all of it, I see! Seriously, though, the cable being out is traumatic. It always happens right before a showe I really want to see!

Salimah

sarah said...

oh good GRIEF! i would be uber pissed if that pillowcase thing happened to me. dude, two weeks ago, i bought new sheets, and my pillowcases were mal-formed, so i had to take them back. that was rough enough....but the internet, the customer service, the horror! i'm glad you made it through:).