Thursday, June 16, 2005

Ugh

I know I'm over-reacting, but I do find it disappointing that after a week of going to the gym I've gained a few pounds. Yeah, there's flucuation and whatnot, but really if that's the case then I'm flucuating higher. I wanted to think it was my imagination when one of the few pairs of jeans I can wear felt tighter. Apparently not. I've watched my eating and I know that I haven't been eating more, yet, as you generally do when working out. I also haven't' been indulging more than normal, and I had already cut down on my indulgences. If anything, I was eating less and healthier because it was so hot out and I only wanted fruit and lite fare.

I've burned more calories this week than I probably have burned in one week in years. Really. Given that I was already apprehensive about not be able to lose the pudge, the fact that I actually gained is not helpful to my perspective. Ergh! I am not pleased. I will keep going and see what happens, but the Catchka is not happy.

I even did better on the elliptical than before, but now the little insidious thought that it just doesn't matter has crept on in...

3 comments:

nanni said...

I know it's gotta be frustrating, but try to stick with it. It'll pay off in the long run. Maybe it just takes a little while for it all to kick in.

cat said...

that's what i'm hoping! we'll see at the end of next week if anything has changed.

Kate said...

This is normal! I've read about it... gaining after starting a health/fitness plan. Definitely don't let yourself be discouraged now. It's so disheartening, I know, but it's just the body doing it's thing and getting adjusted. Do you know that there's even an apparent 2-pound differential when you weigh yourself at night and when you weigh yourself in the morning? Your body probably recognizes that you've been making some adjustments, and it's just trying to adapt by holding on to some extra pounds for a few days. It will let them go within days. Not to worry!