Saturday, December 17, 2005

"Olden Times, and Ancient Rhymes"...And Catchka is a Christmas Cheeseball

I’ve been trying to write a Christmas post, letting it ruminate in my thoughts, and I still haven’t come up with anything approximating what I hope to express. I don’t want to gloss over the suffering in the world or that this time of year is even more difficult for some people. I think that is important and even more of a reason to be compassionate and forgiving, which I am reminded should come more easily to me this time of year. Or rather perhaps, I should mindful that I need to continue to work on that, that I need to continue to develop more Christ-like qualities, to honor Him and what Christmas should mean to me.

I have to admit, I love Christmas. I am completely taken with the notions of peace and love and good will towards all our fellow (wo)man. I still get annoyed at the guy that cuts me off in traffic or that neighbor who keeps hitting my car, don’t get me wrong. But I love the spirit in the air, I love happiness and good cheer, I love imaging a clear starry night on a hillside that changed the world.

I am enamored of twinkling lights and sleigh bells and wreaths and carols. Hot chocolate is warmer and sweeter as we settle in for another winter, remembering those who are dear to us no matter where they are at the moment.

I love when Linus quietly and reverently tells us the Christmas story, I love when the Grinch’s heart grows and we can all see that love is revolutionary. Love changed the world and it can still change our small part in it. It can change us; it can change how we affect each other.

I know I’m naïve and a not a little cheesy, but I do believe that we can be more compassionate, understanding, forgiving. We can take part in Christ’s grace even more. We can honor this season and let it help us to be more joyful even in tribulation and to approach our lives with more faith and humility.

Even if we don’t believe in a God or know what we envision, I love that the peace and goodwill is available to all. That there are secular and religious traditions to take part in during Christmas, or whatever holiday that one celebrates, that let you love who you love, and help those that maybe have no one to love them.

Let’s take the excuse to bake the perfect peanut butter cookie, to give five bucks to a charity, to admire lights in the dark, hope for snow and wear a little more red.

Perhaps this time of year is not just for those of us who believe in it religiously, but also a reminder to reach out beyond ourselves, to hold onto those we love, to change the world.

3 comments:

nanni said...

I love your cheesiness!

Mary said...

I. Loved. This. Post.

Beautiful, Ms. Cat.
Loves and Cuddles,
mar

Kelly said...

Oh, I love this! Thank you for sharing your thoughts. :)